Undoubtedly McAfee has been of the best security software in the market. It provides your system with complete anti-spyware, anti-malware, and internet security. But, you can also face issues with the software. One of the common bugs that you can encounter is McAfee won’t open. This makes the scanning of your system impossible and also, leads to the low performance of the system. The issue can occur because of both the Windows operating system and the McAfee application. In case you have also encountered the issue, keep reading this troubleshooting guide. We have listed the easy and updated methods to get rid of the issue.
Reasons McAfee Won’t Open
Usually, the McAfee won’t open issue occurs in Windows 10 but, can also occur for other operating software as well. Below we have listed all the reasons for which you encounter McAfee Windows 10 issues.
- The windows system files are damaged or corrupted.
- You have downloaded any other security software on the system.
- The disk files are damaged.
- You may have installed the application incorrectly.
- Windows is not updated to the latest version.
Fixes for McAfee Won’t Open Issue
If you have encountered McAfee won’t open Windows 10 issue, do not panic. You can resolve it if some simple methods are followed. Below we have listed all the methods to fix McAfee Windows 10 issue.
Reboot the System
Usually, most of these errors can be resolved if you restart your system. But, this method can only work if the reason for the issue is temporary. To reboot the system, press the Windows icon and then choose to reboot your system under the power menu,
Running SFC Scannow Service
As mentioned, another reason for facing the McAfee won’t open issue is that the system files are damaged. So, the next solution to get rid of the issue is to fix those system files. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you need to press the Windows icon on the screen and then in the search box, type command prompt.
- When the option will appear on the screen, you will have to choose to Run as an administrator.
- Next, in the next prompt asking for permission, choose Yes.
- After this, in the command prompt, you will have to type SFC/SCANNOW and then press the enter key.
- Sit back and wait till the process will complete.
- When done, you will have to start your system again.
One thing that you always have to keep in mind is that to carry out this process, you need to have some basic system file knowledge. If you do not know anything about it, we suggest you consult an expert.
Uninstall Other Third-Party Software
In case you have installed any other security software on the system, it can interrupt the working of McAfee. So, to run McAfee on the system properly, you need to uninstall the other security software from the system. For this, you need to visit the control panel on your system and then choose to uninstall an application. When done, you will have to select the other security software and then click on it to uninstall it from the system. After this, start your system again.
But, if you still face issues while uninstalling the application, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you need to open the Run Window on the system. After this, you will have to type appwiz.CPL in the Run window and then choose the Run option
- Next, look for the security software that you wish to remove from the system.
- You need to right-click on the name and then click on the uninstall option.
- After this, you will have to choose Next and then some prompts will appear on the screen.
- Wait for the application to uninstall from the system. When done, reboot your system and then check if you are still facing McAfee won’t open issue.
Resetting Security Service Center
Now, the next option that we recommend to you is to reset the security service centre. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you need to open the search window on your system. You will then have to type services.MSC and then click on Run.
- When done, you will have to look for the security centre service.
- Next, right-click on it and then choose to reset it.
- When done, start your system to let the changes take place.
Run Disk Cleanup
You may also face the McAfee won’t open windows 10 issue because of the temporary and junk files present in your system. So, the next method that we recommend you to follow is to run a disk cleanup on the system. To do that, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you will have to hit the Windows key on your keyboard.
- When done, in the search bar, type cmd and then hit the enter key.
- You will then have to right-click on the cmd option. From the menu, choose to run as an administrator.
- In the next prompt asking permissions, choose yes.
- In the command prompt, you will have to type chkdsk/f/r. when done, hit the enter key.
- Next, you need to hit the Y key on the keyboard.
There are chances that the Windows updates are pending and because of that, you are facing the issue. Below we have mentioned the steps to update windows.
- First, you will have to press the Windows key and the I key together.
- It will open the Windows Settings page on the system.
- On the settings page, choose personalization tab and then taskbar,
- You will have to then choose update and security options. Choose windows update. Next, you need to choose the option to check for updates.
- When done, you will have to choose the available updates and then start your system again.
Steps to Follow if McAfee Quick Scan Stopped Working
Now, there are chances that you may not be able to run Quick scan on McAfee software. If this is the case, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you will have to restart the system and then verify if you can operate scanning mode or not.
- If this does not help you, look for the access protection feature and then enable it.
- Now, you will have to run McAfee software on the system.
- Next, open the General settings feature.
- You will now have to go to the drop-down menu and then choose the option to use Access protection.
- In the end, you will have to choose the apply option and then start your system.
Steps to Uninstall McAfee AntiVirus
In case you wish to uninstall McAfee antivirus on the system, you will have to follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to open the search bar on the system and then type the control panel.
- In the control panel, you will have to choose the option to uninstall a program.
- Next, you will have to look for the McAfee antivirus and then click on it.
- Choose to uninstall it from the system.
- When done, start your system again.
You May Also Read: Antimalware Service Executable
McAfee won’t open can be a frustrating issue but you can resolve it with some of the basic troubleshooting methods. With all the methods mentioned above, you will be able to resolve the McAfee won’t open windows 10 issue. In case the issue persists, you need to contact the support team.