McAfee error 1406 is one of the runtime errors that you can face while installing the antivirus on the system. This issue is usually encountered when you install the antivirus incorrectly or the files related to the application are corrupted. When the error occurs on the system, it generally crashes or freezes the system. If you have also encountered the McAfee error 1406, this guide can help you resolve the issue. Check out this detailed guide to know the causes, symptoms and fixes of the error 1406.
Sources of McAfee Error 1406
To resolve Error 1406, you must know why you have encountered the error. Here is a list of common reasons for which the error occurs.
- Invalid or corrupted windows registry
- Your system is infected with malware
- Files related to the McAfee software are deleted from your system.
- You may be running more than one application on your system or some other application is conflicting with the process of McAfee.
- McAfee is not installed on the system properly.
Symptoms of McAfee Error 1406
When you will face McAfee error 1406, your system may start showing some of the indications. It makes your system slow and also, your operating system crashes. This may happen continuously or after some time. Also, it may freeze your system for some time. It may also respond to the inputs slowly.
Different Error Messages Related to Error 1406
On encountering the error, the following messages may display on your system.
- Error in application: McAfee Error 1406
- Unable to find McAfee error 1406
- Error 1406 quit
- McAfee 1406 error is not running
- McAfee error 1406 is encountered and will now terminate
- Software path fault: McAfee Error 1406
Methods to Resolve McAfee Error 1406
So, now you are aware of what McAfee error 1406 is. You can now proceed to resolve this issue. Below we have listed some common methods that you can use to fix the issue.
Method 1: Run Full System Scan
The very first method that we suggest you follow is to run the full system scan to find the reason behind facing the McAfee error 1406. Follow this method if you think that a virus or malware is affecting the performance of your system. Once you will find the virus or malware, you need to eradicate it from the system.
Method 2: Run McAfee as an Administrator
The next method that we suggest you follow is to run McAfee as an administrator. It will allow you to make all the changes that you need to make that you can not make being a user. For this, you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, go to the download folder in which you have downloaded the application setup file.
- When found, look for the McAfee setup file and right-click on it. You will then have to choose the option to run as an administrator.
- Now, follow all the instructions appearing on the screen to complete the installation process.
Method 3: Performing Clean Boot
The following suggested method on this list is to clean boot the system. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to go to the search option on the system.
- You will then have to type MSConfig in the search box and then hit the enter key.
- In the next prompt, you will have to click on the general tab and then choose the selective startup option. Also, choose the option to load all the startup services.
- Now, you will have to choose the services option and then choose to hide Microsoft services. When done, click on the Disable All option.
- After this, go to the task manager on the system. Tap on the startup tab and then choose each application and disable it.
- You will then have to close the task manager and then start your system again.
Method 4: Removing Temporary Files
Another reason for which you can face the issue is that you have a lot of unwanted files present on the system. After using your system for a long time, different temporary files are generated on the system and they are never deleted on their own. It can take up a lot of space on your device. Therefore, deleting these files can fix Error 1406 to some extent on the system. To delete these temporary files, follow the steps mentioned below.
- To start with, you will have to open the run window on the system. For this, you can press the Windows key and R key together.
- In the Run window, you will have to type cleanmgr. It will open the disk cleanup window on the screen.
- You will then have to choose the disk that you wish to clean.
- When done, choose the remove option and the cleanup process will begin.
- It may take some time to complete depending upon the size of the files.
Method 5: Updating Drivers
There are chances that the required drivers of your system are outdated. This can impact the performance of your system and also, makes your system slow. So, you can update the drivers to optimize the performance of your system and also, fix error 1406. There are two ways that you can use to update the driver. One is to manually download the driver on the system. For this, you can visit the McAfee website and also, the manufacturer’s website to download system-related drivers. Another method is to download a McAfee updater or driver downloader to scan and download drivers.
Method 6: Reinstall McAfee Total Protection
There are chances that the McAfee installation files are corrupted and hence you are facing Error 1406. So, if any solution didn’t help you, we suggest you reinstall McAfee total protection. If you do not know how to reinstall McAfee, follow the steps mentioned below.
- First, you will have to open the control panel on your system. After this, you need to choose the program and features option.
- Under this, choose to uninstall a program.
- You will now have to find McAfee in the list and then click on it. Choose to uninstall it from the system.
- Wait for the software to completely uninstall.
- You will then have to go to the McAfee official website and then download the application on the system.
- Next, go to the Mcafee.com/ativate webpage and then activate the antivirus on the system.
- Check if the error is resolved or not. If it is not resolved, you need to install Windows again.
Method 7: Performing System Restore
This is the last method that we suggest you follow. For this method, you will have to make sure to create a backup of your data because if the restore fails, there are chances that you will lose the data.
- To start with, click on the start icon on the screen.
- You will then have to type system restore in the search box and then click on the appropriate option.
- Next, you will be asked to type your admin password. Type it correctly and then a new window will open on the system.
- In the new window, you will have to choose the version of Windows that you wish to restore.
- When found, click on the restore option.
- Now, it will restore the last properly functioning version of the windows on the system.
Method 8: Reinstall Windows
Another reason for which you can face the error 1406 is that the windows are corrupted. To fix this, you will have to repair or reinstall complete windows on the system. For this, you need to create a backup of all the data and then only proceed with reinstalling process.
Also Read: How to activate Mcafee?
Installation errors are common with almost every software and McAfee 1406 is one of those. With all the methods mentioned in the article, you will be able to resolve the error 1406. In case the error persists, we suggest you seek help from the support team.